Thursday, January 20, 2011

Best of Springfield (IL) 2010: Part One

The Illinois Times has a "Best of Springfield" feature every year. I have yet to vote, because you need submit a minimum number of votes across a vast number of categories, and I didn't know enough to do justice to any of them. Hopefully by the time voting is open for 2011 I might be in a better position to participate.

I've decided that the focus/theme of a malaysian abroad for 2011 will be food... so what better way kick 2011 off than to take note of the winners in the 2010 Food and Dining category? :)

For this post, we first look at the multiple-category winners:

A big winner was Osaka Japanese Restaurant (website), they won the following categories:
  • Best restaurant you discovered this year - they just opened for business in November 2009
  • Best Asian food - they serve not just Japanese but also Thai cuisine, so I *will* have to check them out one day
  • Best Sushi - I always feel sushi is overpriced for what gets served, and am more than happy with what I buy at the south Walmart, LoL!
  • Best new martini/cocktail - go see if the Osakatini is as good as they say
  • Best place for a First Date - I am so beyond this category, LoL!
They are located at 1665 Wabash Ave, phone # 1.217.726.8037. Here are its Yelp and Urbanspoon pages.

Another multiple winner is Xochimilco (pronounced so-she-milco) (website), sweeping these categories:
  • Best Chips and Salsa & Best Mexican - I miss my carne asada tortas from De Pasada in Chicago, I wonder if they have something as good here?
  • Best Waitstaff - well that's always a plus :)
  • Best Margarita - I'm still on a no-alcohol-consumption run, so I'll have to report what the hubby says, if/when we ever check 'em out ;)
They have three locations:
  • 2941 W Iles Ave (1.217.546.3116) [yelp]
  • 3210 Northfield Dr (1.217.544.9206) [yelp]
  • 6901 Preston Dr (1.217.483.1006)

Of the three multiple winners, this is the only one I've been to so far: D'Arcy's Pint! (website) They won these categories:
  • Best Comfort Food - just take a look at their menu... certainly seems that way, choice-wise!
  • Best Horseshoes - my first ever horseshoe was their Gobbler (turkey on stuffing smothered in french fries and cheese sauce), and no other horseshoe has come even close to the deliciousness of this. I missed the Gobbler this year (they only serve it during Thanksgiving week, it seems), so I will be heading there next Thanksgiving for another round :)
  • Best Bar Food - I've not had anything except a horseshoe there, so I can't comment on this. Yet.
D'Arcy's Pint is located at 661 W Stanford Ave (1.217.492.8800). Here are its yelp and Urbanspoon pages.

Sometime over the course of 2011, I hope to have dined at each of the above places at least once, so I can provide my own review of the establishments. In the meantime, I'll just feature the places I have been. But even before that, this post needs a Part Two! Stay tuned!

Note: D'Arcy's Pint and Best of Springfield 2010 images are low-resolution screenshots taken from the respective websites and remain the copyright of the respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment